News and Events
In March 2016, Dr. Ryan received notice of funding for Mentored Research Career Development (KL2) training award as part of the UTHSCSA Clinical and Translational Science Award (CTSA) program.
Meetings & Presentations
Behavior, Biology, and Chemistry: Translational Research in Addiction 2016, San Antonio, TX
- Dr. Karns-Wright presented on Examination of phosphatidylethanol in light vs. heavy drinkers before and after 0.4 and 0.8 g/kg ethanol consumption
- Dr. Linde presented on Preadolescent impulse control and sensation-seeking predicts substance use initiation In adolescence: A Dual Systems perspective
- Dr. Mullen presented on Treatment response profiles of at-risk drinkers during a 12-week contingency management intervention
Research Society on Alcoholism 2016, New Orleans, LA
- Dr. Dougherty presented on Patterns of alcohol use and criminal risk characteristics among DWI defendants: Implications for criminal risk assessments and supervision
Southeastern Psychological Association, New Orleans, LA
- Dr. Charles presented on Predicting substance use patterns in at-risk adolescents
Texas Research Society on Alcoholism 2016, Dallas, TX
- Dr. Karns-Wright presented on Correspondence between transdermal alcohol concentrations and self-reported drinking.
- Dr. Mullen presented on Alcohol use and criminogenic characteristics of DWI defendants enrolling in a screening brief intervention and referral to treatment program.
New Team Members
- Thalia Rodriguez, M.S. joined the NRLC as a Research Area Specialist Associate in March.
- Javier Torres, joined the NRLC as a Research Area Specialist - Intermediate in February.
Personnel News and Recognition
- Dr. Wright was appointed to the rank of Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio.
- Dr. Charles was awarded the Early Career Research Award at the 62nd annual meeting of the Southeastern Psychological Association, New Orleans, LA.
- Dr. Mullen received the best poster award at the 8th annual meeting of the 2016 Behavior, Biology, and Chemistry: Translational Research in Addiction, San Antonio, TX
- Sergio Arambula was admitted to the 2015 class of Brown University under the Gates Millennium Scholarship.
- Dr. Mathias was appointed as Chair of the Grand Rounds Committee, Department of Psychiatry, UTHSCSA 2015
- Dr. Dougherty was selected to receive the 2014 UTHSCSA Presidential Distinguished Scholar Award.
- Drs. Dougherty and Mathias co-authored a book chapter in the 2014 Current Topics in Behavioral Neuroscience: Behavioral Neurobiology of Stress-Related Disorders (Editors Pariante and Lapiz-Bluhm).
- Dr. Dougherty co-leads the Grant Writing with New Investigators workshop at UTHSCSA Institute for Integration of Medicine and Science (IIMS).
- Dr. Dougherty appointed to the Editorial Board of the Journal of Addiction Medicine & Therapy
- Dr. Dougherty was invited to speak as part of a NIDA-sponsored symposium at the American Psychiatric Association meeting in May 2014 on the topic of: The role of substance use in violence against self and others: How research can inform clinical understanding of risk
- Dr. Acheson was appointed as the Vice President of the Alamo Area Parkinson's Support Group.
- Dr. Dougherty has been appointed as the Deputy Chair for Research in the Department of Psychiatry.
- Dr. Mathias was promoted to Associate Professor with tenure
- Dr. Mathias was elected to the International Society for Research on Impulsivity as a Member-at-Large and Web Publisher.
- Dr. Hill-Kapturczak was appointed as Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio.
- Dr. Olvera has been appointed by Governor Rick Perry to the Texas Juvenile Justice Board.
- Dr. Dougherty was named as the Regents' Research Scholar by the University of Texas system. This award recognizes an important faculty recruitment and provides financial support for research infrastructure.
- Drs. Dougherty, Mathias, and Dawes were interviewed by the Association for Accreditation of Human Research Protection Program, as part of UTHSCSA's successful research accreditation.
- Dr. Donald Dougherty was appointed as a Consulting Editor for the journal Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology.
- Dr. Dougherty is co-chairing the new Institute for Integration of Medicine and Science Grant Writing with New Investigators series.
- Dr. Dougherty was associate editor and assisted by Dr. Nathalie Hill-Kapturczak on the 2010 edition of the Encyclopedia of Research Design.
- UTHSC offers free counseling - My San Antonio
- UT Health Science Center’s new CAMBIO program changes teen lives - LA PRENSASA
- Treating Bexar's DWI plague - San Antonio Express News
- Teen pot use could hurt brain and memory - NBC Health News
- Secrets of the Mind - University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
- NIDA: Drug Abuse and Suicidal Behavior Workshop - NIDA Workshop
- Experts seek answers behind impulsive behavior - Texas Medical Center News
- Alcohol and Violence Research - NIAAA Publications
- UTHSCSA Recruits N.C. Team that Studies Substance Use and Suicidality in Youth - UTHSCSA
- In a Turkey Daze? - The Oregonian
- Don't Blame the Turkey: The Truth Behind Tryptophan - Yahoo! Food
- Dr. Mathias was interviewed for a Medical News Now MDTV segment on Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
- Dr. Mathias was interviewed about research in the NRLC for the bulletin of the Sociedade Brasilleira de Neuropsicologia (Brazilian Neuropsychological Society)
- The NRLC publication L-Tryptophan: Basic Metabolic Functions, Behavioral Research and Therapeutic Indications was one of the most accessed publications for the International Journal of Tryptophan Research.